Saturday, November 8, 2008

Remission, success and living

"Remission means there is no evidence of disease . . that's all . . there is no way of knowing if I am in complete remission or if the cancer will relapse. I will have PET/CT scans to monitor for relapse every two months for at least the next short while and then they will spread out in time until 5 years. To the best of my knowledge, I believe the standard for remission is 5 years. The longer I remain in remission the better chance I have that the cancer will not recur. If after 5 years I am still in remission there is a good chance the cancer may be gone......... however, there is no guarantee as cancer can remain dormant in the body for an undetermined amount of time and then reappear. I will need to stay vigilant about my health for a long time.........but at least, right now, things look promising and that is all that is important to know. I'm celebrating."
Adapted by me.

"Everyone is born with a limited amount of time. Every moment we live - whether we're working, playing, complaining, or being thankful - is time that we've spent. Nothing is more valuable than the time we have left. When we're pursuing our passion, it isn't just getting to the goal, because the journey is as rewarding as the end result. At the end of our lives we can say 'I've loved my life' - the ultimate definition of success."
Cynthia Kersey.

"Every person will die. But few people will really live."
?

Carpe Diem.

6 comments:

  1. Geez,Ade, reading your blog is really something. From what you are eating and drinking, your thoughts on your tests results, which I so understand, to the fishing trip with How and the others. I heard from How that you had a perfect day to be out on the water--no wonder no one got sick! I truly understand the anxiety you have about getting and trusting your tests results. I hope your mind can take a break from those concerns most of the time so that you really can "Carpe Diem." It sounds like you are. I admire your strength, Ade. Keep on truckin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a good photo of you and Bobba the bear! She NEVER opens her eyes in photos...wow! You guys look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adrian,
    Now that you have your feet wet fishing you will need to experience it on the Alaska scale. Laying over in Cologne today and the Germans are partying to beat the band for some reason. Can't believe that it is for Armistice Day (Did they not lose both of them?) so I am a bit confused. Congratulations on your diagnosis and keep it up. All the best.
    Regards, Pat
    P.S. Go RSL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ade;

    Great news, I'm so happy for you and your family. You look great. Be careful about eating again, keep it up and you'll swell up like me!

    Chuck Patterson

    ReplyDelete
  5. God, Ade! The photo of you and your Mum is so fab, I can't believe all I've heard about what the two of you have been dealing with. You two must be doing something right!! Nice pic!! And love to your Mum from me, please.

    ReplyDelete