Tuesday, April 1, 2008

How this all came about

I have been getting regular physicals for my aviation career for the last 25 odd years. For the most part 2 physicals per year and that does not even include personal physicals with my own doctors. So how does this happen? Dunno. I have tried to stay in shape and, for the most part, have been pretty successful.

What I'm trying to say in a convoluted, round about way, is trust your body and what it's telling you. To the best of my recollection I started with a mild cough back in September of 2007. It was not bothersome enough to cause me to get it seen to at my doctor. In January 2008 I went to my personal physician and had my yearly physical. Because I had told her of my somewhat persistent cough she had me get a chest xray. Well, the chest xray led to a CT scan which led to a bronchoscopy which led to a needle biopsy which led to a PET scan which.....................well you get the picture.

I was diagnosed with non small cell adenocarcenoma of the middle lobe of the right lung. I then had a media stenoscopy to see if there was any node involvement and to also stage the cancer. There was node involvement (positive for cancer) on the right side of the oesophagus and also a node on the left was involved as well. As best they can tell there is no other involvement elsewhere in my body at this time. My cancer was staged as 3B.

My treatment includes 35 sessions of radiation therapy and six sessions of chemotherapy. Five days a week radiation and once a week chemo.The chemo drugs I am getting are Carboplatin, Docetaxel and Avastin. Now, all you aspiring Doctors out there, go figure it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment