Sunday, March 30, 2008

I may have to look for some temp work!


What makes this so different from a lot of other people dealing with this very similar health issue is that they can usually continue working during their treatment. I can not...........Everything in aviation depends on your physical (medical.) which we have to have every 6 months. The physical is what essentially validates your flying licence. One of the toughest things for any pilot to ever have to deal with is to temporarily stop flying or be "grounded". I say temporarily because I do plan on flying again in the not too distant future. As long as I am fighting this battle I am effectively grounded. When I do return to flying status it means that I have my health back. That's all I hope and pray for every single day.

I have been flying for over 28 years and have reached the pinnacle of my aviation career as a senior captain flying amazing jets (Boeing 757's and 767's) for a fantastic company (UPS). Who would have ever believed this story? "Young Jewish boy from Africa makes it big in America". I could not have scripted this any better myself.

Do I miss my flying family? Of course I do. Do I miss flying with some of the most incredible people you will ever know? You bet. I have met some amazing and wonderful pilots during my 20 years at UPS. Some of the finest airmen I have had the privilege of ever working with. There are so many other people at UPS, that I interact with daily, who are truly wonderful as well. My union (The Independent Pilot's Association) has been great. Very supportive. In some ways I am the luckiest guy around. In other ways, well............not so lucky.

1 comment:

  1. Adrian

    You should have your wife volunteer you to be the HOA president. This gives you the opportunity to continue to work with non responsive government entities.
    You can irritate other homeowners with no fear of being fired, the last thing they want is for this position to be open, because they might have to fill the slot.
    The bad part, sorry no money.

    Figuring out how to comment was fun, I felt the need for five pound book of directions.

    Bob Peipert

    ReplyDelete