Monday, April 28, 2008

Those with little want to give so much

Today Diana and I were totally taken aback by what our housekeeper did. Firstly, our command of the Spanish language and her command of the English language are on an equal footing. Not great. However, we do manage to communicate quite adequately. Secondly, she is a woman of very modest means but a huge heart. When she received her pay she handed Diana one of the notes back and said that was all she wanted for taking care of our home. She is obviously a very perceptive woman and finally put the pieces together about my health condition. Diana gave her a huge hug and told her that she would not take any thing back. Diana thanked her once again. What we noticed the most was how someone with very modest means would be willing to give up 20% of her earnings out of the goodness of her heart. I can tell you this. Starting next week she will be getting even more for taking such good care of our home.

So far today, not the greatest of days. Swallowing troubles, pain and nausea. What a combo

I am going this afternoon to the Owings Mills radiation facility for the "final fitting" before my treatments start up. Not exactly sure what they will be doing. I should be starting radiation round 22 tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. What an inspiring story about the woman who cleans your house. Thanks for sharing with us.

    And you've got my sister Emily in Boston responding to your blog. Wow...that's impressive. When you get your mom online...then we'll know you really reached the masses. Once you're done with your treatments, I nominate you as Cloister del Mar's first inhouse blogger and blogger instructor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good on mara! youll feel better daddy i know it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ade-
    I am totally frustrated as I began writing you a nice little message that somehow got scrolled down far enough so as to disappear altogether! I know that, according to common computer knowledge, "it has to be somewhere," but, where, I do not know. And it was such a clever little note! Oh well.....

    I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with swallowing and some pain issues. How told me that you will be moving into a new phase, or perhaps better stated, out of this current phase of treatment, a week from Friday. Hang in there, Adrian! It must really be hard to maintain your sanity when you feel so lousy, but I hope you can keep your head above water. You really are an inspiration with your writings, or I guess I should say "blogging," but I feel like such a phoney bc I NEVER talk about "blogging." It's just not part of my world or my vocabulary. But now, I guess it is--thanks to you!

    Your story about your cleaning woman was very touching and poignant. I am glad you have such a caring and compassionate person helping you and Diana out. I'm sure you were deeply moved by her thoughtfulness.

    I'm hoping that tomorrow will bring you a better day, Ade. And if it doesn't, just know that one will be on the horizon.

    Sending you Red Sox hugs and warm regards--
    EM
    P.S. I see that crazy word below that I honestly don't know that I can make out....why do these Rorschach tests have to be so hard? If you don't receive this, I did my very best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, here I go for the 4th time, trying to post a comment to your blog. It's very frustrating to me.
    I really do want to respond to all that you've blogged.

    So sorry to read about all the difficulty you've been having regarding swallowing. That's got to be a real bummer.

    It's good that you're in the home stretch for the radiation. It's the last week or so that seems the longest.

    Mike had the IMRT radiation last year, although for a different type of cancer. The last week he was chomping at the bit. Believe me, he wasn't sorry that he didn't have to make the 45 minute trek each way every day. When it was over it seemed as though he had extra time on his hands.

    Try to keep up your spirit. You've got a lot of people in your corner rooting for you.

    Judi (Howard's other sister)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Skinneee,
    I wish you to feel a lot better soon.Keep going with the positive vibes and focus on yourself as a healthy person at the end of a horrible ordeal.
    Stay determined.
    Ilan in Byo

    ReplyDelete