Thursday, April 10, 2008

Radiation Round 12 & Chemo Round 3

Well, I was doing so good up until this evening.

Radiation went well and then I went over to the infusion center for my 3rd chemo session. When I signed in they had assigned me Mary (the nurse who I think the world of and who we all love dearly, for the care and support she gives me). Mary was the nurse I had for my 1st chemo session. They also assigned me a really nice room (cubicle). Now these two factors made for the start of a very good day. The treatments went smoothly and the fact that they were able to use my brand spanking new Portacath was beyond description. Just awesome.

Russ took Diana, Mike and Me to Outback Steakhouse for a really nice dinner before we took her to the airport. Yes, Russ finally went back to London after spending 3 wonderful weeks with us. I honestly can say that I have never struggled so much to say goodbye to her. She was a godsend to all of us during this very difficult time. Words cannot adequately describe how I and especially Diana, feel about her so I will just end with this tidbit.

Russ is really not a "dog person". Totally different, when it comes to animals (dogs), than Phil or me. Well, she really bonded with Max. I'll let the picture speak for itself!

We miss you already Russ.

8 comments:

  1. loot looks thrilled haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That image has been photoshopped for sure. No way Russ would sit with her arm around. And no friggin' way Maxala would sit with a non-Suskin arm around him without taking immediate hostile action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he may have had some Prozac! Nah, not really. He really liked her. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visit from my perspective:

    Hi,
    As you may have read in a previous post, I went to visit with the Suskins on Tuesday night. A lot of the pilots at UPS and friends who know him asked how he's doing, so I thought I'd tell you as a concerned visitor and friend.
    Firstly, he's remarkably upbeat and positive. You notice this when you talk to him, but to be in their home, and to live it first hand is very impressive, and frankly reassuring. That he's going to beat this cancer is a forgone conclusion, but his family help is what to me, was most impressive . Typical of the loon Adrian, he's intensely focused. He can, and will tell you about his "team of doctors," and about the protocol of his treatment in minute detail. He will outline the time line of his projected treatment, recovery and appeal back into the cockpit to the day. I was amazed at his focus and total determined dedication to this mission.
    This is where his family come in. They don't let him get "too heavy," and dark. They distract him in what is such a beautiful way. Three examples. A you may know, Adrian and some of his Bulawayo buddies are English Premier League football (soccer) fanatics. They support Manchester United, and are besotted with their progress in the final stage of the league tournaments. Now multiply this obsession by a factor of four, and you get the intellegent and insightful knowledge and enthusiasm of his daughter Robyn (Robbie, Robin-doola, Doola, Dolly). When Robyn is at home from the University of Maryland, and there is a Man United game on, the two can be seen yukking it up on the couch together wearing their Man U shirts, and and acting like a pair of hooligans. If Rob is away at school, she apparently ditches classes, because every time there is a goal, or an exciting play, the ubiquitous cell phone in Adrian's hand rings, and they analyze the play. Actually, Adrian asks Robbie for her analysis since she's the one in the know.
    On the evening that I was there, their son Mike (Adrian calls him Chuck or Charlie or Kakpot Charlie .... whatever,) sensed that Adrian was going in a somber direction as he was talking about "the fight" to get back. Mike did something subtle and I thought very clever. He brought in Adrian's new toy, a farting machine that works of a remote controller, and asked Ade to tell us the story of how he hid it under Mike while he was having orthodontic treatment. Adrian regaled us with the story,until everyone, especially his fantastic older sister Russy and me were actually crying with laughter.
    Finally, Diana (Eddie, Edna, Lil, Diamond Lil etc) who is always in hearing distance, never allows him to descend into misery. She asks him for positive facts, she reminds him of his good fortune rather than his bad, and best of all, she marvels at his ability to go to the cancer treatment center, and to make everyone laugh.
    This family is just fantastic. The are dealing with this lousy situation with facts, focus and humor. I can't tell you that I left with a buoyant heart. It was hard and very sad to say goodbye to someone who I love so much who is suffering such a gruelling fight, but I left with an new admiration for this wonderful supportive united family.
    Stay in touch with him. He really appreciates the love and support from us all.
    Allan Goldfish

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww dad thats serious man love there! anyways, thanks for visiting my dad fish i wish i could have seen you!
    Rob.

    ReplyDelete