Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Radiation Round 11 with a twist

This morning I had a Portacath implanted into my left chest just below the collar bone. The operation took about one hour. The Portacath allows them to access my vein (blood supply) without having to repeatedly install IV lines for my treatments or blood tests. I won't go into detail about what exactly a Portacath is. Just Google "Port-a-cath".

After getting out of the recovery room I went for radiation round 11. It was a little slower today as they had to fit me into the schedule. It was a tad uncomfortable as they did the Wednesday xray as well as the treatment. Keeping my arms above my head on the treatment table was not too pleasant.

The pain from the operation is not too bad as the meds are working as advertised. Awesome stuff. All in all, I'm feeling pretty good.

Chemo round 3 is rescheduled for tomorrow.

Al (Goldfish) Goldstein stayed with us last night. He was on a PHL layover. So he rented a car and came down to see us. Stayed for dinner and slept over. For those that don't know, Al and my friendship go back 40 years or so. We both fly for UPS. It was good to see him and catch up with what was happening at work.

Sorry about the grammar, spelling and syntax. Bloody Percoset.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Ade. We were thinking of you all day yesterday. Minor surgical procedures are minor only for the doctor. They can be a real pain (literally) for the patient! You've got amazing spirit and determination. And your writing skills are top notch. Again...it's just one more thing that you're good at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Medical Procedure Competitions:
    The tiny details involved in crowning a winner

    Please note that the winner of the procedure is the be crowned immediately. If this is not done, it is possibly that the person who did not win may irritate his/her wounds in the interim and then ask for a redo. Thus, CROWN THE WINNER IMMEDIATELY.

    CATEGORY A:
    Length of procedure in seconds, minutes, and possibly hours

    CATEGORY B:
    Anatomical site of procedure

    CATEGORY C:
    Length of incision

    CATEGORY D:
    Number of stitches used

    CATEGORY E:
    Were you awake with local anesthetic? Or were you out cold like lettuce? The latter obviously indicates a more serious procedure.

    CATEGORY F:
    The drug, strength, and quantity that was supplied post-procedure

    CATEGORY G:
    While it may be unfair considering this is just a competition pertaining to medical procedures, it is necessary to take into account the person's diagnosis or suspected diagnosis. This category is devoted to that.

    Ade, it seems you have me in Categories A - E. As for Category F, we'll have to discuss. And Category G cannot be answered at this time on my part. Regardless of incomplete answers in EACH category (consistency is key when judging such competition),
    I hereby award you, Adrian son of Laguanda, the crown for 'you had a worse procedure than I did'. May you wear it well my friend, with your head held high and your port shining in the cool sunny breeze.

    Side note from the author: another great game to play at the hospital when you are bored out of your mind is this:

    1) go through your wallet, have everyone who is with you do the same (you must have at least one other person with you, i tried to play by myself once as a patient and it didn't work...you'll soon see why)
    2) everyone has to go through their wallets and find their old receipts
    3) every needs to total their receipts, then they need to find their worst purchase out of the bunch, the best purchase, the most expensive, the cheapest, and so on.
    If played well, it can occupy your time for at least an hour, guaranteed. I also recommend this game because it builds mental stamina -- it's not that easy to look at a receipt and just guess what the item was!

    That's all from me for tonight. I've presented you with two fabulous hospital games (which do work out of the hospital as well, but you'd have to be a big time nerd to do it). Please note that because Adrian and I are competing for a medical procedure award, that means I had one as well, which means that the entire time I was writing this I was slowly falling asleep on Ambien. On that note, please forgive anything I said that was just not right (for example, I once said "i'm talking to the magazine").

    Love you, suskin fam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lil, what a simple twisted mind. I don't think Diana lets me have any receipts. What are they anyway?

    ReplyDelete