Friday, October 17, 2008

My epiphany


During the lowest of lows for me, and on one of my many conversations with my family, I had an epiphany. Big word huh. I have kept it relatively quiet all this time but now feel the time is right to mention it on my blog. Don't ask why.

One evening we watched a news show about this orphanage in Cambodia. The next morning, during a long conversation with Russ, I told her what I want to do. I wanted to start an orphanage in my home town of Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. Taking care of AIDs orphans and abandoned babies. Quite an undertaking. My rational was simple. Even though the situation is currently dire in Zimbabwe (and the political situation is much the same), it matters not to the babies. What do they care about ZANU PF or the MDC or for that matter, inflation. What they understand and feel is that they have no food or shelter.

My family has been tremendously supportive about this passion of mine and I know it is doable. I know there are needs everywhere, including here in the USA. But in all honesty, who cares about Zimbabwe? I do!

I am currently working on this project with my families complete support and the help of some incredible friends. I will keep you all up to date. Unfortunately, it's a long process.

Carpe Diem.

5 comments:

  1. What a great, inspired idea you have. It's big, hairy and audacious (another large word). And you've got the drive, determination, humanity and love of your homeland to accomplish it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I liked you for a reason on the pile of granite next to the mitbach when I first met you May 1963. I'm so proud to be your friend. You take the crappiest situation in your life and come out of it wanting to help others. Not even people with cancer, but babies in need. You are a mensch, and I'm proud to read what you're planning. I hope to be your first volunteer. Not bad for a boy with an Englebrecht College education. Knob!
    Fish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ade! Obviously I am 110% FOR this idea. I love it and want to help you out in any way possible. I can take care of the public policy stuff/proposal for funding if need be...I have a ton of research! And obviously I will be there with scrubs and my EMS jump bag.

    Love,
    Lil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez, Ade, you have come up with an amazing idea! It's admirable that you are turning your focus outward and not inward, and looking towards helping children in need. I look forward to hearing more about how you go from here to begin to make this goal a reality.
    Loved the pics! You're certainly looking a lot healthier and stronger since August. Keep it up! Having Mike as your personal chef appears to be a huge help. I think it's great that he enjoys cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful idea, in the purest sense of the word - I second the mensch comment! One of my favorite quotes is from Mother Teresa of Calcutta, to paraphrase, "God does not call us to be successful, but to be faithful." Stay faithful, and it will happen.
    Canuck boy.

    ReplyDelete