Monday, March 9, 2009

Blood work

Let me briefly explain what this blood work stuff means. I usually end up getting my blood drawn almost every week to see how I am coping with the chemo. There is no definitive test that I have done to show if my cancer is stable, progressing or in remission. What the tests show are how all my organs are generally functioning and how my blood counts, specifically, white, red, platelets etc, are performing. So if my white count is low I'm more susceptible to infections and hence the Neupogen shots. Each abnormal bit of blood work may be an indication of something wrong with a specific organ and just aids the doctors in diagnosing different problems. Again, there is nothing specific that would say, oops, kidney cancer.

Oh yea. My blood work today was fine. I had a really nice chat with Mary about how I have been feeling the past few weeks.

Carpe Diem.

3 comments:

  1. Ade you have such a good knowledge about bloodwork...want to teach me for nursing school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright...good news on the blood work. But it sounds like you're turning into a human pin cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adrian

    At least they don't have to split the specimen.

    Bob P

    ReplyDelete