Saturday, August 23, 2008

August 23rd and we all celebrate this international holiday


I never ever pay attention to horoscopes, but my cousin Martin cut a horoscope out of the paper today, and I felt compelled to reproduce it here.

"Your values, both emotional and material, will undergo a profound change over the next 12 months. A new way of looking at life will capture your imagination and alter the way you think and act in subtle, yet far-reaching ways. Looks like you've found The Key."

Very weird.

The rest of the day was fantastic. Lots of phone calls with very weirdly-singing people and lots of really nice emails. Still no presents!!! No cool train sets or scale electric cars. Not even a cool BMX bike. What the hell is going on? But, Bobba got me a $2 scratch card, and I won $50! She also got a lottery ticket, and I'll let everyone know later if I am the grand prize winner.

We all sat out at the pool and swam. The water was a very senior 82F. No beach swim today, but maybe tomorrow. Afterwards, we went upstairs to the apartment and, lo and behold, there was a birthday party for me: cake with candles that almost set fire to the apartment, a bit of champagne, and decorations. What more do you need? Presents.

In the evening we went to Abie & Louie's, A really nice steakhouse here in Boca. The Suskin gang, Our Mom, Phil and Hannah, Ilan and Robin, and Martin and his daughters (Arielle and Yael) all attended. Great company, but others were missed (Russ). Food just kept coming - onion soup, lobster, filet mignon, chicken, salmon, mashed potatoes, onion rings, asparagus - it was a never-ending feast! The final touch was a fantastic creme brulee which came topped with fruit and berries. All I can say is that Mike sampled most of everything on the table, including half of Hannah's apple pie. A couple of good words were said by Ilan and me, and then, Ilan and Robin presented me with a bracelet with chamsahs ("evil eyes" in Hebrew). There is an amazing story behind this bracelet. Their brother-in-law wore it and, as a cancer survivor, wanted to pass it on to someone else suffering this terrible disease. That person was me. I can't wait to pass this on once I am officially a cancer survivor, and I hope that this bracelet will help someone else once again.

After dinner, we went to Deerfield Beach and sat outside on the benches looking out to the ocean like old people; a shoutout to Bobba, Russ, and Phil for hosting the birthday dinner.
Oh, by the way...........my Mom got me a scratch off lottery ticket for my birthday and I won $50. Awesome.

I can't wait to go into the ocean tomorrow, and I'll keep you posted...

6 comments:

  1. I really had to dig to find it.

    Bob P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ade-
    Was so happy to know that you were heading to Fla to spend time with your "Mum" and family, but bummed to hear that you had to seek medical attention. It sorta seemed like one of those good news/bad news things ("the good news is I'm going to Florida-- the bad news is I had to go to the doctor-- the good news is it's just the after-effects of treatment.....") It was smart to see what was going on, and, I hope, a relief to get the feedback. Hoping the prednisone does the trick for you. I'm sure it's great to have your mom's home-cooking! It'll do you good! Enjoy the time with your fam--and give them all my love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skinman, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!
    Yoda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrian- I’m your fan. I check your blog daily (beautifully written and very inspiring). The picture of all of you is Soooo NICE! I didn’t even know there were such beautiful genes in my dad’s side of the family (or maybe these are the in-lows that brought them in)... Best wishes!
    Tal

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great birthday! Food sounds good. Who had the lobster?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adrian. Sorry to hear about your "vacation" from UPS. BUT! I'm happy to hear that your're kicking some C butt and moving forward.
    Send me your email address please.

    Paul HalVORson !
    VERY retired in Minnesota
    And no, we've not had any snow up here yet...

    ReplyDelete