Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cooking, cleaning, laundry & exercising!!!

There I was thinking that if I got lung cancer I could get out of the mundane tasks of cooking, cleaning, laundry & exercising. How wrong I was. Well it worked for 2 years but I've been found out. Dr. Sidransky (of MouseSkin fame) went and spilt the beans and told us (Diana included) that my last scan showed no signs of cancer. That I was, for now, in remission. Dr. Schraeder ( my oncologist) sort of told us that a short while ago. Albeit in a slightly different way. None the less, we are thrilled and cautiously optimistic with this development.

Our doctors will be conferring in the next few days to establish my course of treatment for the foreseeable future. It looks like the chemo drug Alimta will be dropped and I will just be receiving the biological therapy of Avastin every 2 weeks. I know Diana talked about all this already but it's my turn to babble and I'm good at it!

This is all a bit tough for me to process as you can well understand. Like I keep saying - we have won a huge battle but the war continues. And to quote a famous phrase (from me) - "It's not over til you're dead".

From a work standpoint, I cannot apply for my FAA medical until it's been a year from my last chemotherapy. It's my FAA medical that validates my flying licence and that is what I need to return to work. So we wait.

Carpe Diem.
P.S. I really have been helping with cooking, cleaning and laundry. However, the exercising is another matter. Also, if you recognised the picture you should be a radiologist. It's my PET/CT scan.

1 comment:

  1. I'm here in Cape Town on vacation when my phone beeped with an SMS text from Dean the Queen. He told me to "look at the blog." I got on-line and just checked out the news of the big "R." That is truly some of the best news I've EVER received in my life. I know not to get carried away, but the past 2 years have given you so much "kak" that this fills me with smiles, relief, and an overwhelming burst of emotion. I'm so proud that you and Eddy have fought back this disease with humor, inclusiveness and deep strength. You have been to the edge and back, and your pride and reputation remain not only intact, but elevated for ALL your friends to admire. As one of your oldest non-MATMIS friends, I doff my cap to the Suskins. You all have shown us the strength of family synergy. I look forward to sitting next to you in the cockpit again one day before we hit age 65, brothers in the bad times, and best of all brothers in the good times. Positive rate .... gear up!
    Hamba gashli Ade,
    Tevez Fishballs

    ReplyDelete