Tuesday, April 21, 2009

New York fishing expedition

Diana and I travelled to New York today to consult with a highly recommended thoracic oncologist at MSKCC (Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center). The appointment was set up for us by a good friend of Phil's who just happens to be a very high up at MSKCC. How convenient. It was a really wonderful and insightful meeting and we both came away really satisfied at this development. Basically, we will continue working with and getting treatments done at St. Joseph but our Doctor at MSKCC will work in conjunction with the Doctor at St.Joseph.

We are having some additional genetic testing done at MSKCC that may be quite helpful and relevant for my future treatments. I also volunteered to be a part of a program that deals in other genetic and genotyping research. There is not much more for me to do other than donate my slides from a previous biopsy done at Sinai Hospital in March 2008 to this research project. Quite painless but the benefits down the road could be huge for others as well as me.

It was a really long, exhausting and draining day for me as new information about my disease was explained to us. Nothing we already didn't know but presented in a different way. A bit of a mortality check!

We are very excited about all this as it seems that our ship finally has it's rudder back. Ay Ay Captain.



Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment