Friday, January 16, 2009

Friday's news


This morning, Diana, Jack, Ilan and I went downtown to the marketplace. While Diana was hunting for a Man U cap for me, Ilan and I snuck off to the internet cafe. And that's when I saw it - the news I had been anxiously waiting for. It was not easy absorbing this latest setback, but it was incredible having Ilan by my side. We then tracked down Jack (who was still looking for dagga in the market - just kidding). He was also an incredible source of comfort for me. And now to find Diana. Judging by my red eyes, she knew the news wasn't good. We spent the next couple of hours finding solace and comfort with our good friends. It was reassuring to hear from Dr. Erlich, through Russy. He actually called her in London to tell her to tell us not to panic,there are lots of options to achieve remission again and that we should stay in Cape Town and enjoy our holidays. Wow.

I naively thought that I was done with this dreadful disease and its associated treatments. What I have come to understand is what Dr. Erlich tried to tell Diana some time back - this is a chronic condition that may require different forms of treatment for some time to come. As explained, this is a marathon, not a race. A war, not a single battle. As usual, Dr. Erlich was very reassuring. Phil and Russ were amazing at supporting and keeping in touch with us.

Carpe Diem.

No comments:

Post a Comment