Monday, January 24, 2011

Chemo 7 (Round 7)

Finally, a twist. Month after month and the "everything is normal" cycle is broken. Nothing too sinister but allow me to explain.

My weight was stable, my blood pressure was good and the blood work was fine. But the urine test was not. It showed protein in my urine. One of the effects of being on Avastin is they have to keep a close eye on your blood pressure and signs of protein in your urine. With both of these tests elevated you can get kidney damage from the Avastin. Even though my blood pressure was fine the protein was too elevated to give me the Avastin so I was only given the Alimta. Still with me ?

I now have to do a 24 hour pee collection and they will check the protein figure again. This, apparently, is much more accurate. If everything calms down I will be given the Avastin at my next treatment on the 14th of February.

What's interesting is I have been on Avastin for quite a long time and until recently the tests were always negative. What the hell happened.

Carpe Diem.

No comments:

Post a Comment