Sunday, August 29, 2010

The war continues

The war continues and the next battle begins.

Tomorrow I will be starting the Alimta chemotherapy and continuing the Avastin. The choice is mine but let me explain.

Dr. Schraeder (my oncologist) looked at my latest scan films and concluded that he would only keep me on the Avastin and start me back on Alimta if I so desired. Dr. Sidransky (of MouseSkin fame) had also looked at the films and his conclusion was that I would eventually need to go back on Alimta. Both doctors consulted with each other so there was somewhat of a consensus. It may not appear that way but allow me to elaborate. I was advised some time ago that I would , in all likely hood, eventually need to go back on Alimta. All the while continuing with Avastin.

I can only remain on Alimta for 10-12 months so hopefully it will do it's job. Both the Alimta and Avastin are very good drugs. I have responded well to them in the past and my genetic and molecular study confirms this so there is no reason to think otherwise. The side effects were reasonably tolerable. So out of a 21 day cycle if I have 4-5 days that are not so good then it's worth it.

Somewhere down the road these drugs will eventually loose their effectiveness. Hopefully, prior to that, other options will become available. Every day discoveries are made like newer more sophisticated genetic tests that look for gene mutations. It's simply amazing what is being developed now. The MouseSkin family continues in the wings with very slow progressions. So no testing yet.

Of course I'm a little apprehensive but the option of wait and see did not fit well with me ! Besides, I have too much traveling to do.

Carpe Diem.

1 comment:

  1. Beat the devil back with what ever it takes.

    Bob P

    ReplyDelete