Monday, August 30, 2010

Chemo 1 (Round 7)

Today is the start of a new round (round 7) of chemo consisting of Alimta and Avastin given every 3 weeks. I have had this very protocol previously and had responded well to the drugs with minimal side effects.

I made the final choice to go back on this protocol after meeting with my oncologist this morning. The reason I want to be somewhat proactive is that I would like to nip this in the bud before it develops any further as, on the PET scan, there is "activity" showing up in the right pleura with no spread. My doctors are in complete agreement with my decision as there is really no definitive right or wrong course of action.

One thing I had learned after my initial diagnosis in March 2008 was never regret what you did or did not do. It serves no purpose. While I understand and know that this drug combo is no cake walk I am comfortable with the decision. I could be on this protocol anywhere from 3 to 10 months.

The meeting with Dr. Schraeder was very informative and constructive. My Vital signs, weight and blood work were all fine and the infusion didn't take too long. Historically, days 3-4 as well as days 9-10 were a tad rough. So we will see !

Carpe Diem.

No comments:

Post a Comment