Monday, November 16, 2009

Chemo 8 (Round 6)

Aah, a morning with Katie (Jen was away). Kind of sounds like an expensive bordello. I got "poked" and prodded, was asked tons of medical questions and then given drugs. This all took about 5 hours and for that I was charged lots of thousands of $$$.

It took this long because my veins were not cooperating and I had to get "poked" 5 times. Sometimes the veins behave and sometimes they act like fishing worms about to get baited. Mine were fishing worms on steroids.

Something about 5's today!

The blood work was fine, the checkup was good and I'm feeling OK and I put on a couple of lbs. Just full of holes. I am contemplating having the latest and greatest portacath reinstalled. Here is the info about the portacath:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


In medicine, a port (or portacath) is a small medical appliance that is installed beneath the skin. A catheter connects the port to a vein. Under the skin, the port has a septum through which drugs can be injected and blood samples can be drawn many times, usually with less discomfort for the patient than a more typical "needle stick".

Ports are used mostly to treat hematology and oncology patients, but recently ports have been adapted also for hemodialysis patients.

The port is usually inserted in the upper chest, just below the clavicle or collar bone, leaving the patient's hands free.

Carpe Diem.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Ade-
    Looks like a new format for your blog. I like it. Always interested in your updates--you report with such good humor--critics would say, "a good read." Nice to know you've been to NY and showing Max (Basil?) a good time. The latest medical news sounds great--tough about the veins, though. Thinking of you! (Uh-oh--not sure I know how to get this thing posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrian
    Making note to myself- Don't read blog while eating breakfast. :) I hate needles!

    Bob P

    ReplyDelete