Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Catch-up

For all those wondering why you haven't heard from me in a few weeks - it's because I have been in hospital. And believe it or not, the hospital system does not allow me to sign in on my blogspot account!
So here's the brief update - even though it feels like the longest time. I was readmitted to the hospital 10 days ago because I had difficulty breathing a few days after the last surgery. My oxygen level was low and there was some fluid build up around my heart and lungs. That was all starting to resolve and on friday morning, as they were prepping me to leave, they did one last blood test. My white blood count had skyrocketed and I was moved immediately to the icu. Within 2 hours I was treated with massive doses of anitibiotics. Any of you who have ever spent time in a hospital know it takes them forever to do anything - but they really moved like lightening on this one!
I can tell you this has been an ordeal. In the icu you are prodded, poked and generally annoyed non-stop. Days meld into nights and all you are aware of is noise and beeping. There is no such thing as restful sleep - or any sleep! My white blood cell count has come down a lot and the infection is responding to the treatment. Today I will be getting 2 litres of blood and then I will be moved to a room where I am less tethered and can walk around and begin my recovery. Thank you all for your calls and concern. It means the world to me.
Ade (dictated not read)

3 comments:

  1. good to hear from you again. A very thorough recap....as usual. I think you're ready for a career as a fulltime scribe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to read your update; you’re in our thoughts.

    Danica sends her love. However, I’m looking forward to getting together for a flick once you’re home. I’m also counting on you to use your clout as an association officer to deal with my neighbor’s unsightly dirt pile and dog who pisses on my property! Hey, what else are friends for?
    -gman

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Skinny, I'm going to have to come up with a new nickname for you! How about Bionic Energizer Bunny Hoser-Man?! Crikey, mate, you've taken a licking and you keep on ticking! Even though I don't get on your blog everyday, I think about you and your family everyday, and send prayers often. Miss you around the Big Brown Funny Farm. The new treatment protocol sounds amazing - we'll be anxiously waiting to hear updates. Canuck boy.

    ReplyDelete