Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Letters from Zimbabwe

From Dennis:

Dear Adrian
Hylton just was to return yesterday from South Africa. Meant to see him today but one of my orphans died. Brian was 10. He was the one I took to the doctors with ringworm about six weeks ago and later diagnosed with TB and HIV. Had managed to get him on TB treatment and ARV's. He was looking and feeling better. I saw him two days ago and brought him his favorite foods - butternut, potatoes and a chicken. Yesterday he was polishing his shoes anxious to go to school (even though there is none at the moment) He was excited and not convinced school was not opened. This morning he woke up at 3 am complaining about his stomach and he died at 4 am. Today I spent with the family and am driving him and the family to their rural area for burial in my pick-up.

Tomorrow I have to deal with the greedy funeral parlor who wants 4,100 rand which is like asking an average American family to pay $40,000 for a funeral. Prices doubled in six weeks. It's just outrageous, I don't know which to feel first, the grief at the loss of this child or the rage at the greed of these funeral parlors.

Another one of my kids age 16 had a stroke. Left side affected. Also HIV+. Fortunately am getting her into seeing the best (and most expensive) doctor left in town.

On Friday I was in Pumula South and someone came to me to ask if I would take a child to the doctors. Adrian, if you could have seen this poor child. 4 years old. Her eyes were virtually out of their sockets, one supporating. Absolutely horrible. Not a whimper out of her. Took her to Dr. Sashka Maksimovic. She had retinal blastoma. Both eyes have to be removed but Mpilo hospital will not "because she will die anyway."

What a week.

Won't see Hylton till after the burial. And will write more fully about all later.
Best to you and yours
D
ps feel free to share this email

Carpe Diem.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Adrian,

    Was just following your progress - and wishing you all the very best for a speedy and full recovery.

    Read Dennis' letter and am appalled by the suffering. I would like to make contact with Dennis and see how I can help. If you would be kind enough to put us in touch?

    Warm wishes.
    Mirah Bradt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ade,

    I have some EMT/nurse/med student friends who have no money but who could pay their way to Zim and would like to go with me to offer our medical services after reading this.

    Love,
    Lil

    ReplyDelete