Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thunder is home

This is another one of those weird stories.

My good friend Larry (lunch with Larry), who lives in the neighborhood, called me this morning to tell me his dog Thunder had run away last night. Needless to say, he and his family were devastated and he had spent most of the night looking for her. I was very upset for him and their family as I could well imagine that if Max ran away how flipped out we would be! I asked if there was anything I could do and he just asked if he could drop off a flyer and if I would keep an eye open for her. I obviously said yes to both requests. While he was on the phone with me I told him I was going to look in our back yard on the off chance I would see her. Well...............lo and behold, she was there, all curled up in one of our flowerbeds by the pool. I got her inside and told Larry to get over right away. He got to us in about 3 minutes and what a great reunion. He got in touch with his wife and kids to give them the great news and then took her to the vet to make sure all was well.

Now this is what is so weird. Even though we are in the same "hood", Larry lives about 3/4 of a mile from us. How Thunder ended up at our house is a mystery, albeit a positive mystery. How she got into our backyard is interesting considering we have a fence to keep out the deer. Why was I home at the time Larry called and what possessed me to go and look in the back yard ??? Of all the backyards Thunder chose ours!

Larry and I have had some wonderful lunches together and he has given me some great advice on everything from home buying (Boca Raton) to home plumbing questions. He has also been available and around if I needed him during my ordeal. So I was delighted and thrilled that I was able to be actively involved in finding his dog. This was meant to be!!!

Carpe Diem.

3 comments:

  1. What a great story. Very uplifting. Put a big smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what happened! Had I known that Thunder read Ade's most recent blog about Max perhaps I would have thought to check Ade's backyard before I spent six hours that night, and two hours the next morning searching for her!

    The more I think about it, it seems very interesting that Thunder walked 3/4 mile with a bad hip and "somehow" found a conveniently located "hole" in Ade's backyard fence big enough for her to fit through. Obviously, something else is going on.

    Furthermore, I seem to recall what looked like a sarcastic smirk on Max's snout as he wagged his tail at me (much too cutely, as I think about it now) when I picked up Thunder. Irrespective of his fluffy, prim, & proper exterior, I bet Max was actually laughing at me! Especially because Ade & I saw Max take a crap on the lawn and, what looked like to me, coax Thunder to piss on her leash when I called her! Was that rude, or what? Don't tell me it was a coincidence! I think I know what's really going on. Thunder was embarrassed because she wanted a play-date with Max and didn't want to tell me. Obviously, they were all in cahoots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ade that just gave me goosepimples!

    ReplyDelete