Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Chemo 2 (Round 2)

Hi all. I had my chemo round 2 treatment today. Only 2 of the 3 drugs, so the time spent there was a little shorter today. It was only just over 4 hours today. These drugs are really knocking me on my butt. My white blood count was pretty low today, but it was enough to get the chemo. I just need to be really careful about infections now. Tomorrow, I am having a shot (injection) to help improve the white blood cell count. I am also seeing someone tomorrow that will hopefully help me with my mental state. As you can tell, I have not been feeling to great these past few days.

Mike drove me to chemo today and he stayed for about an hour and a half. Then, Phil arrived from New York to be with me for a couple of days. To say that I owe my family the debt of gratitude would be the understatement of a lifetime. Please bear with me. I will endeavor to speak to as many of you as I can or at least be in touch by email. I just don't have the energy to speak.

Today is Max's (our dog's) birthday. He is 11 years young and still very handsome and in great shape (I wish the same could be said for me). He got a special birthday dinner with some droewors (South African dried sausage). I think he enjoyed it. Happy birthday to our little gentleman (a reference to Anchorman with Will Ferrell).

(Dictated but not written. Written by Robyn.)

7 comments:

  1. Adrian,
    Don't want to be around Max when the droewers are converted to methane tomorrow. Hang in there my friend. You should be strong for the weekend. Interesting player moves brewing in the off season.
    Regards, Pat in AK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Ade. Sorry to hear about the tough time you are having. I know you are on a rough road. You don't have to apologize to your blogfans about not writing. We all know that there are days that you simply do not feel up to it. Do what you need to do to take care of yourself.
    I am glad to know that you are meeting with someone about your emotional state. That's so important. I realize you don't have much energy, but it may be worth finding out about support groups--not just for you, but for your family as well. You all are going through an extremely trying time.
    Hoping you will get some relief soon and start to feel better; you have had some good days--I am hoping for more of them for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adrian
    I was becoming concerned about Max since you had not mentioned him in a while.
    The chemo is tough through this phase, believe it or not it will get easier. The fatigue will persist but will be less intense.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking of you always even though we haven't spoken lately. I feel your pain, keep it up, BIG BOY! Love ya Skinny Dude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I COULD TELL YOU DIDN'T TYPE THE LAST BLOG PAGE..I DIDN'T RECOGNISE THE HANDWRITING...TAKE CARE SKINNY..FOLLOWING YOU EVERY STEP OF THE WAY

    STAN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Adrian:

    Mental toughness combined with fatigue. No problem. You are on the fourth leg of the night - to the west coast of course - and you are passing the Rockies.

    Hang in there. We know you can do this.

    Best wishes,

    Daniel, Pamela, & Christopher

    PS Anne in Newark is keeping up with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning, Ade-
    Just wanted to check in and let you know I'm thinking of you. Hoping for a good day today for you. It's beautiful here in Boston---the air is cool this morning, and dry. Sorry, but I don't know the "visibility," but it's much better than hazy and muggy! Hope you can make the most of your day. Belated B-day wishes to Max! Take care.

    ReplyDelete