Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A truly fine young man

And who I am proud to call a good friend. Thank you Craig.

Please read:

"To my family and friends,

As most of you are aware, in January 2011 I took up road running as part of my weight loss regime. Little did I know that 18 months later, running will have become an integral part of my day-to-day life and that I would at long last be preparing for my 1st full marathon (Cape Town Marathon) to be held on 23 September in which I will run 42.2km/26.2 miles around Cape Town.

Given that distance running is a fairly lonely sport, one often has time to think and reflect. On my longer training runs around beautiful Cape Town, I often consider how fortunate I have been from a financial and health perspective. I have a loving and supportive family and many wonderful friends. There are however those who have not been as fortunate. I would therefore like to use this milestone in my life and running “career” to raise funds and awareness for a charity which is close to my heart, Zimkids.

As most of you are aware I spent the better part of my childhood in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. For those who have not visited Zimbabwe, the people ,who have endured so much over the last couple of decades, are still incredibly humble, gentle and grateful for all that they have. It is this that I admire and for whom I would like to raise awareness through Zimkids.

In a country where 20% of the children are orphans and 94% of the adults are unemployed, Zimkids provides a safety net for 200 of Zimbabwe’s neediest orphans and teaches them the skills necessary to build better futures for themselves and their community.

I understand that many of you have commitments to your own charities which you support however, I am asking that as I intend to push myself physically to reach this milestone, for you to push yourself too and kindly consider making a contribution (no matter how big or small) to this very worthy cause which I support. The link to donate is as follows http://www.globalgiving.com/projects/zimkids-feeds-zimbabwean-orphans-body-and-soul/ and can also be accessed through the Zimkids website http://www.zimkids.com/new/. All donations will be completely anonymous. Should you wish to make the donation in my honour, please feel free to do so.

With gratitude,

Craig


ps check out Zimkids on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Zimkids

Carpe Diem.

No comments:

Post a Comment