Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The MouseSkin update

Or lack of. I just had a phone conversation with Dr. Sidransky of MouseSkin and genetic testing fame. We were supposed to meet tomorrow but have put off the appointment until the middle of January.

Basically, the MouseSkin family is no more. Alas, they succumbed to the lack of tumor growth. Yes that's right. The lack of tumor growth. Sometimes the tumor implants do not grow or take. It happens and in my case they were so slow growing that they did not take. I guess in some ways it bodes well for me as I am fortunate enough to not have an aggressively growing and spreading cancer at this time. The Company still has frozen samples of my tumor that they may be able to use and/or test at a later date.

What seems like a good possibility is that some time in 2011 I may have a complete genetic sequence done that looks for mutations. That combined with my previous testing will give the Doctors a very good idea as to which drug(s) to use on me. There are so many new drugs in various stages of approval (as well as testing) that hopefully they will find a "good" one for me. It all sounds very futuristic but certainly not implausible as it seems like this is the way future treatments will be administered. At the moment things are still extremely expensive but I defy anyone to put a price on life. You have to remain optimistic when dealing with this disease. 

Carpe Diem.

No comments:

Post a Comment