Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Medical Team Meeting

Today we met with Dr. Erlich, Dr. Skaryak and Dr. Citron (Dr, Brenner's partner). It was a really good meeting with some good news.

They reiterated that there is no evidence of the tumor on the lung anymore. They also mentioned that there is a good likely hood that the reason the nodes near the oesophagus are still showing slight evidence of "activity" are due to the residual radiation. The residual radiation should be with me for another couple of weeks. Crap!

The plan now is for me to start another round of chemotherapy on July 1st. It will be a six week weekly course of chemo with three different drugs. Different from the original round of chemo treatment I had. After the six weeks I will have another PET/CAT scan followed by another six weeks of treatment. So a total of twelve more weeks of chemo. I have been told that I should tolerate these upcoming rounds of chemo quite well. No radiation. So the swallowing issue should be ...........well, a non issue.

Now back to the residual radiation!!! I have had good days and not so good days. The swallowing issue is remarkably better. There are still times when it hurts swallowing but I guess it's self induced. I tend to scarf my food with minimal chewing. Well that's going to have to change. I am actually going to have to concentrate on chewing my food. How boring. Oh, I better start bulking up in the weight department. I lost about 22 lbs. My weight right now is 138 lbs. Too thin!!!

The fatigue is also quite difficult at times. I am just going to have to accept that I will have tough moments. Rest and relax, rest and relax. I sound like a therapist.

2 comments:

  1. that's all very encouraging news Ade. I'm so glad that you're reporting that the "swallowing is remarkably better." Getting proper nutrition seems so important. Yeah...chew slower. I'm a fast eater too. It's something I learned from dogs. Oh...and in the good news department, I'm happy to report that Lukie is lifting is leg (most of the time)! And when he doesn't, I lift it for him and it's quite a sight to see a man in a suit lifting his dog's rear leg while the dog is peeing. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Ade! The news from Wed. is really great--very encouraging indeed. Hey, slow down on how you eat; every bite counts! If you gotta concentrate on chewing--concentrate!
    The imagery from How's story about Lukie cracked me up, and reminded me of something from years ago with our old chocolate Lab, Bosco.
    The law is that you have to pick up after your dogs--can't leave "evidence" on the street. I decided that there was no point waiting for the excrement to hit the ground; I would simply hold the bag under Bosco's butt and "make a catch." I did that successfully a few times, until, one morning, a neighbor drove by, just as I was holding the bag under Bosco, and I realized when I waved with one hand and tried to hold the bag evenly with the other, what a ridiculous sight I must've been! I guess How and I really are twins.....and I don't do that anymore!

    ReplyDelete